Monday, April 30, 2012

New Music Monday

Today marks the return of New Music Monday.  Why, you ask?  What changed?  Eh, who knows.  I've been listening to a new record by an old favorite and an old record by a new favorite and just feeling generally affectionate toward music makers.  So I decided to give my latest "new music" play list another listen to see if I hated it all like I did last time and I didn't!  So it's time to report on my latest findings.

"Television Youth" - Sonic Avenues
Might as well start with my least favorite of the list, you know, now that I've told you how I don't hate everything anymore.  Thing is, I don't hate this song, I just don't really like it.  It's kind of noisy and not in an organized, going somewhere kind of way.  It sounds like Sonic Avenues can't decide if they're a punk band or a rock band.  Or maybe they're a punk band that just isn't angry enough.  I really don't know.  I think I could kind of like this song if I was in the mood for it, but I'm just not.  But if you're into loud music that makes you jump around the room and throw your body into amps and whatnot, then by all means, have at it.

"The Days of Adderall" - Deleted Scenes
If you don't know, Adderall is the drug they give kids for ADD.  Apparently it makes your mind very clear but I have to seriously question any "clarity" that's brought on by chemicals.  I guess the songwriter does too because that's pretty much what this song is about.  According to their blurb at spinner.com it's about a mythical place of clarity where all of your ideas seem like good ones.  The song itself is kind of quiet and ethereal and I dig it, but I honestly think I would like it better if I was high.

"Lost Communication" - Anothers Blood
This is by far my favorite of these songs.  I like this guy's voice they way I like Perry Farrell's voice.  It doesn't have the warm, honey quality that I'm usually drawn too, but I still really dig it.  There's just something about it that hooks me.  This song reminds me of "Get Gone" by White Arrow in that I can't tell you exactly what it is that I love about it, I just know that I want to listen to it over and over.  And I have.  And I will continue to do so. 

"Lowdown" - Bridge 19
I'm honestly not sure how these girls hit my radar but I'm glad they did.  There are pleasant harmonies, clever lyrics and an interesting arrangement.  What more do you need?  If you like female singers (which I didn't used to, but they're growing on me left, right and center) I recommend checking this one out.  I look forward to hearing more from them.

"Desert Wind" - A Lion Named Roar
And now we've come around to the radio hit of the bunch.  Does that sound like an insult when you read it?  Cause it kind of sounds like one in my head and I don't really mean it that way.  It's just that it sounds like any of 1,000 different pop songs you might hear on the radio at any given moment.  That doesn't make it bad, I actually like this song.  It's catchy and you can sing along with it and the guy has a nice enough voice, it's just not unique.  (Of course, unique doesn't necessarily = good.) And we all know that things that are different and new and wonderful rarely get the radio love they deserve.  Anyway, I like it and if they keep this up, I'm sure we'll be hearing more from A Lion Named Roar (although, I'm questioning the band name...).

No comments:

Post a Comment