Sunday, April 22, 2012

Record Store Day - 2012

One thing I have yet to figure out is why Hallmark hasn't come out with a Record Store Day card yet.  I mean, they manufacture fake holidays all the time just to make money, so why not honor a real holiday that is celebrating a real thing?  What could be more real than a record store??  That most wonderful of places where you can linger amongst the physical embodiment of music.  Revel in the smell of new CDs and screen printed t-shirts mixed with the musty glory of used vinyl in worn dust jackets and probably a whiff of incense. 

And please don't forget the employees.  You know, the boisterous kid that could use a shower and thinks that anyone who doesn't listen to Lamb of God (or ICP or Necrophagist or whatever) is clearly a douche with no taste.  And the quiet guy that reorganizes the vinyl for fun, talks to no one and has an encyclopedic knowledge of music history.  The girl with the gauged-out ears and the pink hair that just wants to hang with cool people and knows working here is where she'll find them.  And in our little town, we occasionally get to see the actual owner - the slightly older guy who smells vaguely like pot and would probably be awesome to hang out with.  Ah, the record store.  What's not to love??

Sadly, I didn't get to celebrate this year, mainly as a result of not currently being gainfully employed - I told you I've had a shitty couple weeks. And also because I know that I will never find what is currently at the top of my shopping list in any record store around here (I'm still waiting for the only people that I know for sure would own such things to have a yard sale so I can fly 3,000 miles and buy them for $2 off a card table).  Have no fear though, as soon as I rejoin the workforce, a large portion of my first check will go to the support of my music habit.  Still, I love this day and I love record stores, so in honor of it and them, here are the things that I have acquired from my local record stores recently:
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory, Dr. Dog - Be the Void, Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame, Neon Trees - "Animal"

Queen - Greatest Hits II, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Foo Fighters - There is Nothing Left to Lose, Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

 Foo Fighters - The Colour and The Shape, Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, Huey Lewis and The News - Sports

Violent Femmes - Add It Up, U2 - Achtung, Baby, Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water, Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See, Foo Fighters - One By One, Concrete Blonde - Recollection, Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment