Thursday, December 22, 2011

Grammy Nominee #1

Song: Grenade
Artist: Bruno Mars
Album: Doo-Wops & Hooligans
Nominated For: Song of the Year & Record of the Year

"Grenade" was the second single off Bruno Mars' smash hit Doo-Wops & Hooligans.  It's a heart breaking song about unrequited love.  Or at least, she's not giving it back at the same level that he's offering it.  He goes into pretty graphic detail about the physical torturers he would endure to prove his love to her.  "Catch a grenade...throw my hand on a blade...take a bullet straight through my brain."  What more could a girl want??  Of course, a man who is actually alive is always a plus...

Either way, this is the song that made me a Bruno Mars fan and convinced me to buy his album.  I could do without the first single "Just the Way You Are" - it's just too sugary for me.  Gives me a cavity.  This one is over-the-top with the romantic gestures too, but for some reason it doesn't annoy me.  Perhaps that's because of witty lyrics like, "tell the devil I said 'hey' when you get back to where you're from".  I love shit like that.

This is really a pretty perfect little pop song and I'm not mad about it being nominated for a Grammy at all.  Bruno Mars' voice is smooth and controlled and never does anything unpleasant.  The song has a steady upbeat tempo along with achingly sincere lyrics about total destruction of the heart - which is one of my favorite combinations!

No comments:

Post a Comment