Monday, December 26, 2011

New Music Monday

Somehow in my cookie and eggnog induced haze, I've managed to select 4 songs from my collection for New Music Monday.  I'm not terribly in love with any of these songs, but to each their own, I suppose.

Here we go:

"Changes" - Dirty Vegas
This is the gem of this collection. It's off their album Electric Love and it is very electric sounding indeed.  I have another Dirty Vegas song that I like pretty well and this one really isn't too bad.  The first couple times I listened to it, I didn't like it, but it's growing on me.  I'm sure that if you were into dance/techno music (which I am so not) you would really dig this one.  So if you like that peppy techno sound, then by all means, check it out. 

"Dreamers" - Savoir Adore
Off their new album of the same name, this song is dreamy and fluid sounding - like it could spill out of the speakers and stain the carpet.  I probably won't keep this song in my collection because I can't sing along to it and it doesn't make me feel anything except kind of vaguely sad.  I can't really explain that.  I can see where some people might really like it though, so check it out.

"Helplessness Blues" - Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes have been getting a lot of press lately and apparently people are pretty fond of them.  Myself, based solely on this, the title track of their new album, I don't get it.  There are a bunch of them and they have a rich sound like there are a lot of people singing and playing instruments (I'm not mad at them about the quality of their sound) but I still just don't like this song.  It's over 5 minutes long which I find excessive unless you're Led Zeppelin or Iron Butterfly and it's repetitive and just doesn't go anywhere.  Maybe I just don't get it (like Muse), maybe it's above me.  I'll probably give them another chance and listen to more of their stuff though because I don't find this song offensive, just...meh.

"Late Nights" - Brown Shoe
This song of their album The Gift Horse is another one that just leaves me flat.  Apparently it's a deep tune about trying to be good enough to please your lover but then realizing the relationship isn't real.  Whatever.  I don't get any depth of emotion from this song.  The music doesn't support the vocal, it all just kind of blends together into 3 1/2 minutes of sound.  Not a characteristic of a great song for me.

Perhaps I'm just bitter and cranky and impossible to please this holiday season.  Or maybe it's because I've discovered so much really good new music lately (see here and tomorrow's post) that I've raised my standards.  Whatever the cause, I can't really see any of these songs taking up permanent residence on my play lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment