Monday, December 12, 2011

New Music Monday

In the interest of making Monday something better than just the start of the work week, I'm going to institute New Music Monday.  I'll give my first impressions of a few songs that I discovered over the last week (or weekend, as is the case today).  Through the discovery of all this new music, I am learning that there are simply not enough hours in the day for me to listen to all the things I want to listen to.

Here are this week's selections:

"Get Gone" - White Arrows
The first time I listened to this one, I remember not really liking it.  But now that I've been listening to it all day - I don't know what I was thinking!  It's so catchy with clever lyrics and a strange, intriguing vocal.  Check it out, if you don't like it at first, just give it a chance to soak in, it'll get you.

"Fleeced" - Arms
This song is from their upcoming album Summer Skills (well, it was upcoming when this song was posted - it might be out now).  This is probably my least favorite of these four.  The vocals are pushed too far back in the mix for my taste.  I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad song, it just doesn't make me feel anything.  Right now, I could take it or leave it.  I'm going to leave it on my iPod for now and let it show up in the shuffle and see if it grows on me.

"Landslide" - Steve Adamyk Band
The band says that this song from their album Forever Won't Wait is about "getting closer to hitting rock bottom and not caring."  I'm having a little trouble understanding the words, but if that's true, it's far and away the most upbeat trip to the bottom anyone has ever taken.  And I always love a good juxtaposition between peppy music and heavy lyrics.

"Lost and Found" - The Kill Van Kulls
And I've saved the best for last.  Oddly, this is my favorite of these four songs.  I say "oddly" because it has a decidedly 80's pop music sound to it.  A straight forward drum beat, a synthesizer, a clear vocal.  But, I might have been inclined to buy this one if I heard it on the radio (a few times).  This guy's voice is kind of reminiscent of George Michael (who I have loved since my sister let me listen to Faith when I was way too young - at least, according to our parents).  Of all these, I'm most likely to look these guys up and see what else they have to offer.

**Edit: I've changed my mind.  "Get Gone" has been in heavy rotation on my iPod and is my current favorite thing to listen to. I haven't looked for more from White Arrow yet, but I think I will - I hope it's all this infectious.

No comments:

Post a Comment