Friday, December 9, 2011

New Music

As I mentioned, I got 5 downloads from Spinner's MP3 of the Day site.  And by the way, it is the coolest thing in the world to be able to check these bands out that don't get a lot of exposure otherwise.  I had never heard of any of these bands (except Cowboy Junkies, of course) before this, so any comments I make here are based solely on these songs and nothing else they've recorded. 

So anyway, here were my picks along with some notes I jotted down about them while listening to them and waiting for my car to thaw out this morning:

"Fire" - The Moth and The Mirror (meh)- this is a perfect example of the extraneous female singer.  What is she doing there?  Adding some kind of out of tune, vaguely unpleasant vocals is all I can see.  The lyrics in this song are kind of repetitive and when it builds toward the end it gets a little disjointed for me, but it's not all bad.  The more I listen to it, the more I think I might like it if they got rid of the woman singing.  She might have a delightful voice, but I just don't think it fits on this song.

"Be Alone" - The Quiet Americans (blah)- based on this song, I think they should do just that: be quiet.  The lyrics are workable, but there is far too much distortion and racket.  The first time I listened to this song, the only good thing I had to say about it was that it was only 2 minutes 30 seconds long.  But I gave it another chance and it has grown on me a little bit, but I just can't get past the noisy aspect of it enough to like it.

"Sing in My Meadow" - Cowboy Junkies (buy it)- I have heard of them before, but this is really the only song I know by Cowboy Junkies and I really like it.  It had a sexy groove to it and the lyrics are definitely quote worthy.  I recommend this song and I look forward to hearing more from them.

"I Want to Forget" - Psychic Twin (buy it)- If you put Luscious Jackson, Mazzy Star and Veruca Salt in a bowl, stirred until combined, baked at 350 for 25 minutes then seasoned liberally with Belly - you would get  Psychic Twin singing this song.  Obviously, I'm pretty fond it.  It is more techno/electronica sounding than I normally go for, but I still dig it.

"Gliss" - Farewell Republic (meh)- They have the Pixie's loud-quiet-loud thing down to a science, but I have a lot of trouble understanding the words.  It might be totally profound, but who can tell?  The song is kind of all over the place, but somehow still not unpleasant.  I think at the very least it would make good background music for a party.

So 2 out of 3 isn't bad.  I'm definitely going to look for more from Cowboy Junkies and Psychic Twin. The other 3, I could take them or leave them, honestly.  Still, I'm excited to check out more new stuff and hopefully find more bands I might not have found otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment