Thursday, January 5, 2012

More Grammy Nominees

"All of the Lights" - Kanye West, Rihanna, Kid Cudi & Fergie
Songwriters - Jeff Bhasker, Malik Jones, Warren Trotter & Kanye West
Nominated - Song of the Year
All I really have to say about this song being nominated for a Grammy is...what the hell?  First of all, let me say that I'm not a huge fan of Kayne West.  I think he is totally full of shit and largely overrated (except for that moment when he took that microphone out of Taylor Swift's hand...I really liked him right then).  Sure, he's done a couple tolerable songs, but by and large I think I just don't get it.  This is just another one of those songs for me.  It just sounds like any other hip hop song and just blends in with all the rest of them.  I just want to know what makes this one special because I'm not hearing it.

"Holocene" - Bon Iver
Songwriter/Producer - Justin Vernon
Engineers/Mixers - Brian Joseph & Justin Vernon
Nominated - Record of the Year & Song of the Year
At least with this song, I can hear the artistry.  I get why people are impressed by the carefully crafted sound of this song.  The vocal is unique, the arrangement is intricate and full.  It has all the elements that a great song should have.  Here's my problem with it: I don't like it.  I can't help it, I just don't enjoy it.  I've listened to it several times and it just isn't getting in.  It leaves me flat.  I don't find the vocal entirely pleasant to listen to, the arrangement is a bit too contrived, it just doesn't move me.  So what it boils down to is that I can appreciate it, but I don't love it.

"Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
Songwriters - Adele Adkins & Paul Epworth
Producer - Paul Epworth
Engineers/Mixers - Paul Epworth & Mark Rankin
Nominated - Record of the Year & Song of the Year
By now we all know that Adele has a beautiful voice.  It is a powerful instrument and she wields it with uncanny control.  If you don't feel anything when you hear her sing, you really should check your pulse.  This song has everything it needs - her voice, a story of loving and losing, a powerful beat and a tambourine!  Personally, I think Adele is going to clean up at the Grammys this year.  I just hope she can leave room for Bruno Mars to grab one.

No comments:

Post a Comment