Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Favorite Song

Given all the music that I listen to, it seems it would be impossible for me to have a favorite song/artist/album/anything.  And it's true, I have a favorite song of the day, of the week, of the minute.  Who I listen to most, which songs I'm in the mood for, which album I'm currently running into the ground, it all changes frequently.  My tastes and preferences are fluid and can't even really be predicted.  There are a lot of constants, I have favorite artists that will always be on my play lists and new artists that I will forever be a fan of.  There are those really great songs that never get old, albums that I can listen to over and over and still love every minute.  I really got into music when I was about 13 years old, so some of these have been part of my soundtrack for 20 years...I'm a musical swan, I mate for life.  Once I really love something, it's with me forever.  Even if I go for a spell and don't listen to it, I will always go back to it at some point. 

However, over all these years, there has been one song that I could always listen to no matter what mood I was in or what was going on around me.  It is one of very few songs in my iTunes library that has almost no skips.  That being said, I don't listen to this song very often - in fact, it only has 22 plays in iTunes.  I have no idea where I first heard it, I was only 3 years old when it came out so it has probably just always been playing in the background. I haven't heard it in many months, but it is still there in my fabric.  It's just so wonderful, so spot on, so perfect - I really believe that the advice in this song has significantly contributed to our happy 13 1/2 year marriage.  At 4 minutes 39 seconds it's longer than I usually like songs to be, but that doesn't phase me - I will happily bask in the glow of it the entire time.  It is that magical blend of guitars and cheesiness that bands of this genre perfected.

Here you go, just revel in the Southern Rock awesomeness with me:




Oddly enough, I don't own any other songs by .38 Special even though I am a fan of Southern Rock in general.  I have a ton of Lynryd Skynyrd in my collection (of course, I've seen them live and that always influences my purchasing decisions).  In fact, I'd be hard pressed to even name another .38 Special song, but this one, this one does it for me.

1 comment:

  1. i hear ya on favorite songs! mine changes as the wind blows.

    ReplyDelete