Sunday, January 15, 2012

Play List Wisdom II

For my birthday, my in-laws gave me Rob Sheffield's Love is a Mix Tape (among other things, including A Night At The Opera  by Queen on vinyl!).  I'm only 40-some pages into it and I would already recommend it to anyone who has ever made a mix tape (or, for the younger set, a play list).  After reading the first couple chapters last night, I felt very emotional and strange about the insomnia play list I was creating at 1:30am.
I wanted 20 songs (but because I apparently can't count - and I accidentally selected one song twice - I ended up with 19) and I wanted to pick only 1 song per artist.  I always find when I make play lists that way, it makes me focus more on the song than on some guy's voice (and it keeps me from making a Matt Nathanson play list - which wasn't what I was going for this time).  And last night I was in the mood for songs, not voices.  Still, when I got all done and looked at it, the play list is comprised of some of my favorite voices singing some of my favorite songs.  Figures.

I actually listened to it on shuffle since I was picking individual songs that all share a common feeling, not trying to create a story, so any order they played in was going to work for me. 

So here it is in no particular order:

1. Go Where You Belong - Ryan Schmidt - White Horse EP
2. Waste - Aaron Tap - Bronchitis
3. Forever Love - Anna Nalick - Wreck of the Day
4. She Talks to Angels - The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
5. Cover Me - Candlebox - Candlebox
6. Perfect Blue Buildings - Counting Crows - August & Everything After
7. Joey - Concrete Blonde - Recollection: The Best of Concrete Blonde
8. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode - The Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1
9. Tired of You - Foo Fighters - One by One
10. One More Try - George Michael - Faith
11. Hang - Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You
12. Kiss Quick - Matt Nathanson - Modern Love
13. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
14. Time - Micah - Coast to Coast
15. I Gave You All - Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
16. Don't Know Why - Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
17. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel - So
18. I Want to Forget - Psychic Twin - Deepest Part/I Want to Forget
19. Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
**EDIT 20. Heavy - Train - Train - (I found the perfect song to finish this one.  My only question is how didn't I think of this last night??)
I am really, really fond of this play list. I'm always impressed with myself when I filter through my not small music collection and find a little group of songs that all strike me the same way.  I am not, however, a fan of odd numbers, so as soon as I figure out that 20th song to round it out, I think I'm going to burn this one to a CD.  Of course, then I'll have to name it - anybody know a catchy synonym for "Awesome"?

No comments:

Post a Comment