Monday, January 30, 2012

New Music Monday

Album: Be Here
Artist: Rachel Platten
Release: April 25, 2011


This Monday's new music is Rachel Platten's Be Here.  It's not THAT new as it was released last April, but it's totally new to me, so that's good enough.  Rachel is opening for Matt Nathanson on his All Night Noise tour this year so I'll be seeing her in February in Louisville, KY.  I always prefer live music that I'm familiar with, so that led me to check her out prior to the show.  You can find her here. (Edit: We saw her in Louisville and she was amazing!  She brings so much energy and enthusiasm to the stage, it was really refreshing.)

I'm not really accustomed to listening to bright, cheerful music - I'm generally just not in the mood for it.  Sometimes I think it sounds fake or forced, like they're trying to write theme songs for shows on the CW or something.  But I understand that's only because my world view is not bright and sparkling like that the majority of the time.  With all that being said, I decided to give this album and this artist a fair shake even though the music is pretty far outside the realm of what I normally listen to.  And guess what?  I really like it!  Sure, sometimes some of the songs are just too peppy and positive for me, but that's my problem, not hers.  I do appreciate the way she blends reality together with a positive message in these songs.  Kind of a "yeah, sometimes everything sucks, but you know what?  Maybe it will be OK in the end."  I like that about her songwriting.

"Don't Care What Time It Is" is far and away my favorite song on this record right now.  The first time I heard it, I skipped back and listened to it again.  I rarely ever do that, especially with dance music sounding type things like this song, but I really dig it.  I listened to it three times in a row on the way to work the other morning - what a great way to start the day!  I really hope she plays this one when we see her, I think it would be a lot of fun to see live.
My second favorite is "You Don't Have to Go" which is a candid song about a woman's perspective on a one-night stand (or what could potentially be one-night, anyway) With lines like, "Any other day, I might not be an easy lay, you can call it luck, but sometimes a girl just needs a friend" you know I'm bound to love this song.  Later on the record, she goes and gets all serious on us with "Remark" which is a beautiful song that hits pretty close to home for me.  It makes me feel, all at once, profoundly sad, regretful and hopeful.  It's one of those songs that makes you realize that, in a lot of ways, we're all in the same boat here.

Despite my natural inclination toward quieter or angrier music, I am really enjoying this record.  I'm finding that when I'm in the mood for something upbeat and fun, this is what I'm going for.  She has a pleasant, unique voice, her lyrics are interesting and the arrangements are peppy and fun to listen to.  Maybe she's going to change me and make me all bubbly and optimistic! I also think she's an excellent choice to open for Matt as there is no way the crowd won't get into the music and be ready to rock by the time she's done with them.

2 comments:

  1. i like. she has an interesting voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! If you like her voice, you should check out Ingrid Michaelson too - I'm digging her newest album too.

      Delete