Monday, January 9, 2012

New Music Monday

The first time I listened to these four songs, I thought "Yuck, I've struck out this week", however, because I am a woman, I reserve the right to change my mind willy nilly.  And I have - sort of.  Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to keep any of these songs, but on the other hand, I've come around to realizing that they're not bad songs, they just didn't grab me right away for whatever reason.

Forever Boy - A Classic Education
This song has a story - I mean a really detailed story.  You'll have to go the link above and read it yourself for all the details.  I like songs to have a story, but I mean more like telling the story of a relationship, or of a moment in time, not necessarily someone's entire life story - that's a bit overkill for me.  Besides, when I listen to this song, all I can focus on is the line about 1 minute 34 seconds in...does he say "cracked, her snatch is brittle"??  That's what I hear.  Anyway, the song is just all drums and guitars and, honestly, a kind of generic vocal.  I guess it's not a bad song, I'm just not moved by it.

Me and You - Strange Boys
This song, off their album Live Music, is certainly a toe-tapper, if nothing else.  It has lots of piano (which I like) and an upbeat, jangly sound.  It sounds like a bunch of guys just playing music - not too  polished, not too perfect, but just right.  It explores life, the choices we make, the mistakes ("There are many ways to say goodbye, that was one, you can't do twice").  The first time I listened to it, I let it go in one ear and out the other (forgive me, it was about 2am and I was sleepy), but now that I listen to it more closely and appreciate it for what it is, I have to recommend this one and I might keep it myself.

I Could Be A King - The Dunwells
This has been my favorite of these four songs right from the very beginning.  It's fast and stringy - reminds me of Mumford and Sons but with a brighter vocal.  It is their debut single and will be on their upcoming album Blind Sighted Faith which I understand will be released next month.  I like this song and the more I listen to it, the more I like it.  I enjoy the "I could be a king," sentiment, it's nice to be reminded of that feeling a life without restrictions stretching out before you.  I will definitely give their album a listen, I'm hoping for good things!

Madeleine - Lissy Trullie
This is my least favorite of these four songs.  It is about the duality of siblings - their differences and how much alike they end up being. I have a sister, we're pretty opposite of each other in a lot of and also a lot alike.  But I still don't identify with this song.  It's just not palatable to me.  Something about the haunting, dreamy sound of it makes me uneasy when I listen to it - and not in a good way.  More like in a I'll be glad when it's over kind of way.  That being said, I can see where if you like that techno kind of a sound and a decently androgynous vocal, you might dig it.

 As a side note, I'm super excited about next week's New Music Monday!  It will be featuring Ryan Schmidt's new offering White Horse which will be available on http://www.bandcamp.com/ this coming Tuesday (Jan. 10th).  If you're not familiar with Ryan (you have clearly been ignoring me), then get caught up here before you buy the album on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment