Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Micah - Micah EP

Album: Micah - EP
Artist: Micah
Release: July 14, 2006


How have I not talked about this one already? (honestly, I kind of thought I had)  This was Micah's debut but of course I got it last because I do everything backwards.  I would say that this EP has my favorite Micah song on it, but that would require me to pick between "Wasted" and "Goodbye" and this just isn't gonna happen.  So we'll just have to split the difference.  "Goodbye" is one of those that is very upbeat sounding which is in contrast to the lyrics and I love that.  It is very reminiscent of Stevie Wonder (or Jamiroquai if you're a generation younger) which is sweet.  I have literally danced around the house to this song a number of times and I haven't even begun to get tired of it.  "Wasted" is of the same vein as "Goodbye"and is definitely dance-around-like-a-fool worthy.  I put these both on a couple play lists that my husband and I listened to while we were working on a home improvement project (that drug on forever) and they both held up wonderfully to everything I could think to mix them with - everything from Matt Nathanson to The Black Keys to Red Hot Chili Peppers - and that says a lot.

The next two songs are decidedly more chill.  "Thinking" opens with "I'm scared as hell, thinking 'bout the future, thinking 'bout everything" and there isn't a person on earth that can't relate to that.  Never before has the fear of moving on and changing and our tendency to stand in our own way been so fun to listen to!  "Take Me Home" is another one that portrays a bit of the human experience that we've all had.  It expresses that desire within us all to go home, whether home is an actual physical place or just a simpler, more comforting time.  In this crazy, hectic world of isolation and anonymity, I think this urge to slip out of the rat race and into a place that feels like home, where we're known and understood and accepted, even if just for a minute, is pretty commonplace.  Listening to this song will give you that feeling, for 4 1/2 minutes.

Even if you're not familiar with Micah's work (then you have clearly been ignoring me and what is your problem??) you should definitely check this EP out.  The songs are just so catchy and human - I don't see how they wouldn't appeal to everyone.  Just go get it and give it a listen and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment