Monday, March 12, 2012

New Music Monday

I did really good for New Music Monday...well, until Jon Palmer and the New Complainers showed up.  After that I sucked.  I literally listened to nothing but their song "Radio" for a solid day.  Then I made this sweet playlist with them and a bunch of other people who are all connected somehow in real life (a.k.a. outside of my iPod) and listened to pretty much just that for the rest of the week.  But, in spite of all that, I DO have some new songs for you and they ARE by people who are genuinely new to me (as far as I know, at least) so here we go:

Song for Love - Plants and Animals
This song from their album The End of That opens with this line: "Sittin' in the sun, blowin' smoke and talkin' shit with no reasons."  Between that line and the delivery of it, I like the song right away.  They keep up with the catchy lines through the whole thing.  The guitar gets a little fuzzy for me in the middle and the song itself is a wee bit too long, but overall I really like it.  The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me.  Apparently these guys have been releasing albums since 2005 or so, which means they're not new to the world, just to me.  I've listened to a couple other things and I dig 'em, so I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

Apparition - Leland Sundries
Oh, Leland, why so sad?? Sure, I get that the song was written in the aftermath of a bad breakup and that it's about the destruction left in love's wake, but still.  You don't have to sound quite this down trodden to get that point across.  Of course, I haven't heard anything else by this guy...maybe he just always sounds this way.  The bitch of it is, I really like this song.  It totally gets stuck in my head, but he just sounds half asleep and it kind of annoys me.

Don't Just Sit There - Lucius
"Don't Just Sit There" is a pretty song, it kind of reminds me of Lucious Jackson or Portishead.  There are two female lead singers and they have very pleasant voices that harmonize remarkably.  All that being said though, it doesn't excite me.  I like it, I listen to it, but I'm not in love with it.  Check them out though, you might be moved.

I Can't Stand Up - The Energy
And here's the one I don't like. It's just noise to me.  You can listen to it for yourself at the link above, but this one definitely won't be on my New Music Monday Hitlist.  I listened to it a few times and it's just not getting in there.  Oh well, you win some you lose some. 



No comments:

Post a Comment