Monday, March 19, 2012

New Music Monday

I have to be honest with you, getting myself to write this New Music Monday post has been like pulling teeth.  Totally uninspired.  I don't have anything this week that I really love and while there is plenty that I don't like, I'm just kind of indifferent to it this week.  In order to be really inspired by something you have to feel strongly about it, one way or the other, and I don't feel strongly about any of these songs.  So let's just get to it.

Gimme a Kiss - Madi Diaz
As a general rule, I really like Madi Diaz.  I like her voice and her style, but this song missed the mark for me.  I'm not even sure why and that's what irritates me about it.  It's a pleasant little pop song.  Her voice is pleasant, the song is peppy and easy to sing along with, but that's about it.  Honestly, I don't know what my problem is with it - maybe it was just the wrong week for an upbeat pop song around here. I'm still a fan of hers though, so I'm going to blame this one on me and not her.  Check it out and see what you think.

Overdose - Ducky
This song was written after a friend of hers actually overdosed.  Whatever.  Even knowing that, I still don't get it.  There is a hook, "I like the way you told me you'd stay, you told me you'd leave the blood on my face" that appeals to me for some reason, but that's really all this one has for me, which I guess is better than nothing.

In Your Mind - Mercies
According to Spin, this song is very personal and I'm sure it would be moving and profound if only it could hold my attention for the full 5 minutes for me to hear the lyrics.  It doesn't.  I have a pretty healthy insomnia thing going on and I seriously fell asleep two nights in a row while trying to listen to this song.  (So I might keep it around just for that and who knows, maybe someday it'll grow on me) In fact, I'm listening to it right now and even though I'm wide awake and trying to focus on it, I'm having trouble.

Here Now - Sean Bones
This is my second favorite of these four songs but really, that's not saying much.  It's a toe-tapper, I can say that about it, but the vocal is pushed so far back in the mix that I have trouble following it and I really dislike that.  So overall, I could really take it or leave it.

Obviously, this whole group I could take or leave.  But I have listened to some really amazing music lately and I can't expect everything to measure up.  The songs for next week are probably screwed too because I bought Plants and Animals' new album The End of That tonight and I've heard it's mind blowing.  We'll see though, you never know, maybe I'll find something unbelievable.  I like to be optimistic.  (HA!)

No comments:

Post a Comment