Saturday, November 19, 2011

Inspired By or Stolen From?

So the other morning I was innocently eating my cereal watching VH1, hoping against hope that they would come to their senses and play 'Faster' for me.  No such luck.  They did, however, play this new song by Sara Bareilles, 'Gonna Get Over You'.  Have you heard this one?

It's just a peppy little pop ditty.  Frankly, nothing special, except for this one line, "I'll be alright, just not tonight."  Clever, huh?  And...um...sound familiar?

Yeah, so, a couple years ago this guy named Rob Thomas (you might know him from this band he sings for sometimes, Matchbox Twenty) released a solo album called "Cradlesong".  It is a beautifully crafted hour of music.  Really a great record.  The lead single from "Cradlesong" was a song about his wife called 'Her Diamonds'.  In that song, he sings, "She'll be alright, just not tonight." 

Coincidence?  Personally, I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment