Friday, November 18, 2011

Play List Wisdom

The night before last, I made myself a little mixed tape to bring to work to listen to (and by that I mean that I created a play list in iTunes and burned it to a CD, of course).  Here it is:

1. U.R.A. Fever - The Kills - Midnight Boom
2. Curve of the Earth - Matt Nathanson - Beneath These Fireworks
3. Sour Cherry - The Kills - Midnight Boom
4. White Blank Page - Mumford & Sons - Sign No More
5. More Than This - Matt Nathanson - At The Point
6. Snowblind - Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
7. Airplanes - B.O.B. featuring Hayley Williams - Airplanes
8. Pretty the World - Matt Nathanson - Beneath These Fireworks
9. Fire On The Mountain - Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
10. Bottom of the Sea - Matt Nathanson - Modern Love
11. Mockingbird - Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
12. Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits
13. Princess - Matt Nathanson - When Everything Meant Everything
14. Getting Late - Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
15. Faster - Matt Nathanson - Modern Love
16. Sleep Til The War Is Over - Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
17. Bed of Lies - Matchbox Twenty - Mad Season
18. Until I Fall Away - Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
19. Drop To Hold You - Matt Nathanson - Modern Love
20. Losing My Mind - Maroon 5 - The B-Sides Collection

So now that I'm on day 2 of this CD, I've determined a couple things about my mad play list making skills. 

First, putting 'Curve of the Earth' between two The Kills songs was pure genius, my ears delight in the juxtaposition. However, following that up with Mumford & Sons was a bad move.  Also, B.O.B. should not ever be wedged between Rob Thomas & Matt Nathanson.

After the awesomeness that is contained in this play list, 'Losing My Mind' (which I love when listening to other Maroon 5) just sounds like a mess.  And 'Don't Come Around Here No More' needs to be turned up louder than is appropriate at work to really be enjoyed.

I have also determined that while Matt Nathanson is the protein of every play list I create lately, Rob Thomas is clearly the side dish and everything else is just seasoning.

Finally, I'm glad that I'm not responsible for creating the sequence of any album, ever.  I would never settle on a "correct" order.  I have multiple play lists on my iPod of the same songs in different orders, or just adding 1 song that will make the list *perfect* or removing a song that was messing it up and I still end up shuffling half the time.  In the end, it all just heightens my respect for these artists because just listening to the whole albums, the way they were given to us, is almost always the best way to hear these songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment