Saturday, November 26, 2011

Video Watching

In an effort to clear out some of our DVRed stuff, I watched a couple episodes of 120 Minutes with Matt Pinfield the other night and I saw a couple things worthy of mention.

First, "First of the Year (Equinox)" by Skrillex.  Have you heard this song?  If not, don't bother, it's pretty awful.  It's like a traffic jam in my eardrums, just noise and chaos.  Not only is it noise, it's offensive noise.  I actually muted the TV about 3/4 of the way thru it because I couldn't even tolerate it.  I watched it though because the video is fucking awesome.  I highly recommend you watch it.  The little girl is freaky as hell. 

I also finally got a good listen to Mutemath's "Blood Pressure".  I'm really digging on this song right now.  The video, well, it looks like a lot of work.  It looks like it took forever to film and probably ten times as long to edit - I can appreciate that.  But I hate it.  It's seizure inducing!  And it's distracting as hell.  I had to close my eyes and block out the video in order to really hear the song.  And it's a good song, they shouldn't hide it behind all that visual racket.

"The Sound of Winter" by Bush was played on there too.  Such a good Bush song.  And Gavin Rossdale is even better looking these days.  How awesome is it that he and Gwen Stefani are still together?  So sweet.

This morning, VH1 let me down and played some crap I couldn't stand (probably Brittany Spears...I don't remember) so I flipped over to AMTV and caught the new Hot Chelle Rae song "I Like It Like That".  It isn't nearly as good as "Tonight, Tonight" is (which, by the way, is not a remake of the totally awesome Smashing Pumpkins song of the same name).  I also question the wisdom of releasing what totally feels like a summer party song the end of November.  But perhaps that's all Hot Chelle Rae has to offer us?

Tonight, I just witnessed Fall Out Boy's version of "Beat It" (or as some of you might know it...Cheetah Penis*).  Good grief.  Look, it's simple, if you're not Michael Jackson, don't record his songs.  Just don't.

*If you don't get the cheetah penis reference, do yourself a favor and go buy Matt Nathanson's "At The Point".

No comments:

Post a Comment