Thursday, November 10, 2011

"New" music, rant, dream job

I just snagged Violent Femmes' self-titled album this morning.  I felt all kinds of guilty about listening to 'Blister in the Sun' 50 times a day without owning the whole record.  So I bought it this morning.  Once I give it a few (hundred) good listens, I'll let you know what it does for me.

Which leads me to my mini-rant for today.  What the hell is up with iTunes?  Artists create albums, entire albums, and I assume they (usually) put a good deal of thought into the order of the songs.  Isn't an album supposed to be a thing unto itself?  Isn't the artist going, "Here, here are x number of songs, they go together, in this order, to tell a story, or create a feeling, or whatever"?  But does iTunes respect that?  (Besides the ability to buy one song at a time...which I abuse, I admit)  No, iTunes will download that shit ALL out of order!!  Then I have to go find a reputable source to find out the track list and put it all back the way it is supposed to be.  I suppose I could easily solve this problem by buying actual CD's, but you know as well as I do that the convenience and mass availability of music on iTunes is pretty sweet.  Besides, I do buy actual physical music, just on vinyl. 

So, because I can (because I'm not a total purist and who doesn't love a good mixed tape?  Even in digital form) I crafted myself a sweet ass Matt Nathanson/Violent Femmes play list.  So this makes me really, really, really want to see Violent Femmes take it back out on the road next summer and open for Matt Nathanson.  How fun would that show be??  So now, my new dream job is whatever job you have to have to make that shit happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment